Team Chara takes over in the 3rd. By Mike Carver
It was a very even contest for the first 40 minutes in Ottawa tonight, but down the stretch, team Chara just proved to be too strong. Some highlight reel goals from Marion Hossa and Corey Perry helped lead the way and Tim Thomas was awesome to help seal the 12-9 victory. Some thoughts on the 3rd and the game overall:
- As I mentioned after the 2nd, Daniel Alfredsson was awesome tonight. He had several really good chances to pick up a hat trick but Thomas was just too strong in the 3rd. Great job by Alfie rising to the occasion and really putting on a show for the home town fans, that’s what really matters, not who won the game.
- Brian Elliott is having an incredible season in St.Louis….Unfortunately for him, he was bad tonight in his old home in Ottawa. It is the ASG and giving up goals is expected, but no one gave up more than Elliott tonight and the 6 he allowed in the 3rd sealed the victoty for Team Chara.
- How good was the Datsyuk, Hossa, and Gaborik line tonight?
- For everyone who thinks Scott Hartnell is a pain in the you know what when your team plays the Flyers, you had to love him this weekend. He is a character and you really got to see a side you don’t see if you are not in the Philadelphia area. Same can be said for Carey Price….except for that pain in the rear part.
- John Tavares was outstanding in his first all star game action. He scored a goal in the 1st and made a tremendous move to feed Milan Michalek for a goal. Get used to the spotlight JT, you will have many more appearances in this showcase.
- Congrats to Marion Gaborik for taking home the MVP with a hat trick tonight. Gaborik was all over the ice and his weekend long back and forth with Henrik Lundqvist came to a close with him on top. Nice touch adding in the Anisimov goal celebration. And he can go home with the comfort of knowing Pierre McGuire loves his smile.
- Tim Thomas has now won 4 straight ASG appearances…he deserved it today. Best goalie on the ice in my eyes and made some really good saves…and he is now just as hated in Ottawa for denying Alfredsson his hat trick.
The game was everything it was supposed to be, a show for the fans, and the players delivered. Now back to serious hockey Tuesday night as there are 13 games in action. The push for the playoffs begins then, so stay with Hockey This Week for the whole ride.
And as for All Star Games, we’ll see you next January in Columbus for Team Nash vs Team Toews
Hockey This Week
Follow Mike on Twitter @mikecarverhtw